1775 Course of the River Mississippi from the Balise to Fort Chartres: Taken on an expedition to the Illinois in the latter end of the Year 1765.
By: Lieut. John Ross of the 54th Regiment
Date: 1775 (published) London
Dimensions: 44.5 x 13.5 inches (113 x 34.3 cm)
This is an authentic antique map of the Mississippi River and surrounding regions. The map was published by Robert Sayer in London, 1775.
This is a scarce and important map of the Mississippi River Valley compile from old French surveys that were revised by Lt. John Ross of the 54th Regiment throughout an expedition from the Gulf of Mexico to Fort Chartress (Illinois), just south of present day St. Louis. The expedition was commissioned just two years following the end of the French and Indian War. At the time the English knew very little of the region as it was previously considered French Territory. For a similar reason, there is very little detail with regard to the land west of the Mississippi as everything west of the river was still Spanish Territory.
The map presents an extraordinary amount of detail not only for the Mississippi, but numerous tributary rivers that include the Ohio, Chickasaw, River Margot, the Yazous, Pearl, and the Red River to name a few. Also noted are old French forts, mineral mines, American Indian villages, trading posts, and a wealth of geographic features such as cliffs, islands, and whirlpools. Three sizable mountain ranges are also noted that include the Natches, Yazous and the Chickasaws.
The information regarding American Indian tribes cannot be overlooked nor can the importance of the information to the English be overstated. The locations of tribal lands and villages are noted, as well as alliances, roads to reach the villages, and the number of soldiers for several villages. Some tribes delineated in the map include the Arkansas, Chocktaw, Chicasaw, Yazoo, Wiapes, and Caskaskias.
Condition: Map is in B+ condition, with wide margins, light offsetting, and old coloring.
Inventory # 18682
31 N. Clark Street, Chicago, IL 60602 | T : (312) 609 - 0016